Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Friday, March 17, 2017

Day 77: Don't Judge Me by Ariana Edgar

Today we have a guess writer, my Pastor and friend Ariana Edgar (pictured below). She and her husband Matt Edgar (also pictured below) lead Story Philly a church in Center City Philadelphia and just expanded to University City. If you are ever in Philadelphia stop by on Sunday evenings at 6 and 7:30pm.

How many times have we heard people say that sentence? And to be honest, I think a lot of times people use this sentence as a cop-out to live the way they want to live instead of living up to the Godly standard set before us. BUT there is some truth that rings to this catchy phrase.
A massive lesson that God has been teaching me lately is that He is the the ultimate judge… not us.
My husband and I started a church in Center City, Philly almost two years ago. And it is absolutely my favorite thing to do! For me #SundayFunday is the highlight of my week! I love building a flourishing community of people who come together and worship Jesus. I love that our church is such a relaxed, fun and welcoming place to be. All types of people come through our doors and hopefully leave experiencing the love of God.
My role in church, and as a general Christ follower, is to lead others to Christ in every way. Whether that’s leading a team, preaching a message, or doing one-on-one discipleship, I am always pointing people to Christ.
And as I develop, grow and mature in my relationship with God I am understanding more and more that I am undeniably fallible, will mess up, and will make mistakes.
I use to think that I understood God’s ways pretty well and that I was an A+ christian. Meaning I had it all together all the time; that there was no way I could mess up that bad as "So n’ So". I would think differently of "Blahsy Blah" because they’re so proud and they have no clue how wrong they are.
But I AM HUMAN and STILL MESS UP. And the saying is SO TRUE that pride comes before a fall. Even this past month I had to eat a big fat piece of humble pie and it shocked me right back to realizing that I am always, and WILL always be in need of a Savior. And that I can’t afford to hold on to any pride in my words, mind or heart.
So here’s the thing, it says in James 4: 11-12 >>>>
"Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you. God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?”
So heeeeyyooooo!! We are not meant to think of ourselves more highly than others or go around pulling out specks in people’s eyes, especially when we have a rotting plank in our own! haha! But as a Christ followers we are supposed to pursue holiness and encourage others to do the same in their journey.
As a Christ follower & leader (p.s. if you are Christian then you are automatically a leader ) we are meant to do this >>>
1 Timothy 2:11
"I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior."
Ariana translation: Go to God in prayer for everyone that’s on your heart. Be a source of encouragement to everyone around you. And live an upright life making sure that even the little toxins in your life are handed over to God immediately.
And this >>>
Matthew 28:19-20
"Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Ariana translation: Your purpose on earth is to show people the love of Christ, have as many people as you can come to know Him, and have them walk the journey with you, pursuing perfection, until you go home to be with the Father in heaven.
Let’s be people who are constantly renewing our minds in the Word of God, who are seeing Christ as the ultimate example of how to live life on earth, and who encourage NOT judge each other to do the same. Keep yourself humble and know that God always has your back.
Guys... humble pie actually tastes sweet, so eat up!! 😜🍰
Much love,
Ariana


I love you all, I hope you have an amazing day or evening. MAke sure you share this with someone and come back tomorrow for Day 78!

No comments:

Post a Comment