Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Friday, March 31, 2017

Day 91: Oh My Soul.

Psalms 42:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation


Psalms 42:11
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him my salvation and my God.


Psalms 43:5
WHy are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me. Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God.


I hope you're starting to see a pattern here. David repeats the same phrase three times within two short chapters. (The first two chapters of the second book of psalms, 42 and 43). He must really be trying to emphasize something by repeating the same phrase three times. I mean I was always told that people don’t intentionally repeat something just for their health. Whatever they said was so important that it had to be said a second time. Well whatever David was saying, it had to be said a second and third time. He’s really asking himself this question, and then responding to his own question. Almost as if He is asking Himself a rhetorical question, he already knows the answer to it. But I love that he reminds himself that God is bigger than His worries. Even when his soul is downcast he will put his hope in God and praise his name. There is always something to thank God for, no matter what your life looks like, there is always a reason to praise God, always. There is never a moment in our lives where God doesn't deserve praise. We can find a million things to thank Him for everyday.  


I believe that David had to remind himself of the God he serves. David was going through some hard times, and he had to make sure that his soul did not remain downcast. He had to give himself a little encouragement. I love that he asks himself this question and follows it up by saying put your  hope in God. Sometimes when our souls are down, we have to remind ourselves of the mighty God we serve. We have to remind ourselves of His faithfulness. David reminded himself three times, and he probably did many more times throughout his life. Sometimes we have to question ourselves and call ourselves out on the things we let get us down. Sometimes it is inevitable, some things will get to us and that's fine, but in the midst of it, don’t forget about the magnificent God we serve. Remember our wonderful and faithful father in heaven. A literal miracle worker.


When we look at David and everything he went through as we read about him in 1st and 2nd Samuel, 1st Kings, and 1st Chronicles, we get a front row seat to his life. Then in 
Psalms we get a front row seat to his outlook or perspective on his life.  David is known to be a man, after God’s own heart. And even his soul was downcast at times, he had moments of doubt, and fear, and anger, heartache, and pain. But he put His hope in the Lord. Even the strongest people are weak sometimes, We learn to put our hope in the Lord, we learn to take control over our own spiritual wellness. We make a conscious decision to put our hope in the Lord. Even in our weakest moments we can find hope in the Lord, and there is also when we find strength. We are without a doubt aware that God is so much greater than us and our problems. We must not forget that the God we serve is; all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful. He is God over the hills and valleys. He’s got us.


Reflection/ Prayer Time
Respond to God today with whatever is on your heart, even if it’s pain, anger, anxiety, depression, joy, peace, happiness, whatever it may be. Good or bad, just offer your heart to the Lord today and talk to him. Remember that prayer is just a conversation with God.


I love you. I hope you have an amazing day or evening, and a great weekend. MAke sure you share this with someone and come back tomorrow for Day 92!



No comments:

Post a Comment