Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 178: The Bright Side

1 Timothy 6:6-7
But Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and we can take nothing out of it.

Philippians 4:12-13
For I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this in Him who gives me strength.

The past six years of my life have been anything but a breeze, from losing my father, to struggling financially and not knowing where I was going to lay my head at night, to having people walk out of my life and getting my heart broken into pieces. Fighting every battle to get into college and having to leave that same college due to financial issues. Then getting into another school and fighting with every loan place and financial aid to stay in school and graduate. These past six years have been some of the hardest years of my life. It’s hard not to fall into a pity party and feel bad for myself. Because I’ve been at points where i literally felt like I couldn’t get any lower. I’ve been in a place where my family and I were so broke we couldn’t afford a twenty-five cent roll of tissue. I feel Paul on a personal level when he says he knows what it’s like to have plenty and be in need. But I have learned to look to God in both my darkest and highest moments.  I learned to find my strength in Him to get through all of the Christ that life has handed to me on a platter. God has taught me to be content even when I don’t have money, or the things that I desire or wish to have. I chose to thank God for what I do have and where I am in my life. I’ve chosen to thank God for bringing me further than where I was. I’ve learned to look on the bright side of things and not let my joy be stolen by my circumstances.

I think as humans it’s hard to see the good in a bad situation, it’s hard to look on the bright side when everything in front of us is so dark. It’s hard not to feel bad for ourselves, but it feels so much better to get get up and thank God for giving us another day. To thank God for the little things, to thank Him even for the battles, because it’s those moment that mould us and shape us into the person we are. Diamonds are made when a crazy amount of pressure is applied to coal. If we continue to look on the brighter side one day we will get up and the darkness will no longer hover over us, one day the clouds will clear up, the rain will stop. But in the meantime while it’s raining, learn to dance in it, while it’s cloudy enjoy your shadow. Because these are also moments we will never get back, choose to live. Even if that means we aren’t okay, or we’re sad, one day we’ll wake up and it’ll all be fine.

Another reason I have learned to be content is that I have realized that all this is temporary and that there is something out there much bigger than me. Yes I want so much more out of my life and I will get so much more out of my life, but if I am not content with where I am and what I have right now, I don’t think that’s going to change when I get everything I’ve always wanted. I can’t take anything with me when I leave this earth, I can’t take the money, the clothes, the luxuries, the degree, none of it. I can leave a legacy behind, but that’s it. This does not mean that we give up on our dreams or on anything we want out of life. It means we change our perspective, we learn to live for God first. I chose to devote my life to God because that is where eternity lies, and in Him I will have everything I ever needed and wanted, and I’m not just speaking about spiritual things. I mean everything. But first I had to learn to be content with where I am, even when my situation is less than wonderful.

Reflection

  1. What do you want out of life?
  2. Are you able to look on the bright side even when there’s darkness in front of you?
  3. Are you content with where you are?

Prayer Time
Allow your answers to the above questions guide your prayer. Talk to God about being content with where you are but also looking forward to where you are going.


I love you and I hope you have an amazing day or evening. Be sure to share this with someone and come back tomorrow for day 179!

No comments:

Post a Comment