Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Monday, January 2, 2017

Day 2: Who Am I? Who Do I Want to Be?

Who Am I? A question that I have asked myself so many times, over and over again. I have been so lost in who I am, trying to be what everyone else thought I should be, trying to create something other that who I am. I knew who I wanted to be, but that didn't mean that it was who I was. I viewed myself as something I wasn't because I was not satisfied with who I was, and it destroyed me. It broke me, it left me at my lowest point, because I was so confused about my identity. That changed when I decided to accept the person God made me to be, and not everyone was happy about it but I didn't care. When I found my identity in Christ, everything else fell into place, and I thank God for that everyday.
-Dyamond


Identity is a huge part of growing up, as we get older we start to question who we really are, what our beliefs are, where our morals lie. And honestly it can be very confusing, trying to be the person we want to be while also trying to discover who we are. As someone who has faced a few identity crisis’ I know that it is one of the hardest things to come by and accept. There are so many outside influences telling us who we should be, and the type of person we ought to become. How do we decide who to be? I must say that it is one of the greater challenges we face, because we must know that not everyone is going to be pleased with who we are, and many times it’s the people we want to please the most. We find our identity in one place and one place alone.


Genesis 1:26-27
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds if the heavens and over the livestock, and overall the Earth and every creeping thing that creeps upon the Earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female He created them.
God knew our potential and who He wanted us the be from the moment He created us. He knows our ability and potential, he created it. He knows who great a people we can be and He won't allow us to be any less than that. We are created in the image of the Almighty, All-knowing, omniscient God. Knowing who God is and knowing we are made in His image, there's so much greatness there.
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
I think many times we get the idea that we can run out of grace or chances. Just because we fall doesn't mean God stops loving us, He NEVER stops loving us. In many cases we lose who we are because we lose our faith in God, for me personally that was the case. I lost who I was because I looked everywhere but to Christ for my identity. But when we finally realize that our identity lies in Christ, that is all that matters. What we used to do, it doesn't matter Christ makes us new and better than ever.

Conclusion
Many times our ideas of who we want to be or who we are at the moment does not match up with who God made us to be. We know that we a children of God, we know that He made us in his image, and that He continues to shape us everyday. This should influence the person we decide to be.
If everything was stripped away from us, literally and metaphorically, who would we be? Would we still have an identity? Where does it lie? Is Christ an important factor in who we are? When we find our identity in him, so when everything else is stripped away our identity can’t be taken, because it is rooted in Christ.
In order to define ourselves as mere humans we must find our identity in Christ and only then will we be connected or reconnected with ourselves to discover who we truly are.


  1. Does my idea of who I am line up with who God made me to be?
  2. Where does my identity lie?
  3. How do you define yourself as a person?
  4. How do you define yourself as a christian?
  5. Are they or should they be separate?

Prayer Time:
As you answer these questions begin to speak with God is about your identity. Ask Him to show you who you are and to shape and mould you into the person He wants you to be. Whatever is on your heart let God know. Remember that praying is just a conversation between you and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment