Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Friday, January 20, 2017

Day 21: I'm Scared!


We all have that one thing that we fear, for me it’s needles. I hate needles, I’m so afraid of them. I’m
twenty four years old and my mom still has to hold me down because I will run out of the doctor’s office when it’s time to get a shot. What I have learned as I’ve gotten older, and still afraid, is that every time I got to the doctor I have to face that fear and overcome it. Also my fear of the needle makes it so much bigger than it actually is. I’m not afraid of the pain, I’m afraid of a little needle, that ends up helping me and not harming me.
-Dyamond
As we get older we a stricken by fear when it comes to moving forward in our lives. We have to step outside of comfort zones and take leaps of faith. The hardest thing to do is leap or take a step and you have no idea where your foot is going to land. It’s scary! We are stepping into new territory, and responsibilities, and many times we are taking a leap of faith trusting God, but deep down inside there’s still some fear. Will I make it? What will happen? Where will I go? How will I get there? These are just a few of the questions that go through our head. I think fear is normal when we are entering new territories of our lives. However, we can’t let that fear paralyze us and keep us from moving forward. We can be scared for a moment, then we have to face it head on and keep going.


2 Timothy 1:7
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
In this scripture Paul is writing to Timothy, his protégé, and encouraging him. Telling him to use the gifts God has given him, to be courageous and not be afraid. We can take that same advice, to be courageous, and knowing that fear doesn’t come from God, we have nothing to fear in Him. We have to be courageous and take on life like we own it, or it will get the best of us.
I think many times our fears are ingrained in us from a young age due to a bad experience, or sometimes we just all of a sudden are overcome and stricken by fear and we don’t know why. But we find comfort in Christ, because we know that no matter where we are He is there with us, and He never leaves our side.
Psalms 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
God is constantly encouraging us and letting us know that we don’t have to fear, we are courageous through Him. He knows when we need encouragement the most and that’s when He gives it to us.

Joshua 1:9

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Three times in Joshua 1 we see God tell Joshua to be strong and courageous, because He knew Joshua needed the encouragement for what was ahead of Him. Joshua was about to lead the entire nation of Israelites into the promised land, he was the successor to Moses, and he had to take on a huge responsibility. But Joshua was constantly reminded that He has nothing to fear because God was with him. I think we can learn from this, no matter what we are up against we don’t have to fear because God is with us, and we get courage from Him. The same way David defeated Goliath, he wasn’t afraid.  Fear makes a situation bigger than it is. Fear does nothing but stagnate us, we have to be courageous enough to step outside of it and face it. God is so much bigger than our fears.


Reflection
  1. Write down your fears.
  2. What’s stopping you from facing those fears?


Prayer Time
As you identify those fears, ask God to help you overcome them. Ask God for courage, and know that He is always with you. Speak whatever is on your heart and be honest with God about your fears. He can handle them, give all it to Him. Remember that prayer is just a conversation with God.

Make sure yo come back tomorrow for Day 22, and if this is your first devo, welcome! You can catch up on all the days from Day 1 , if you'd like. Either way I'm so happy you're on this journey with me! I love you.

-Dyamond 



No comments:

Post a Comment