Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Friday, February 10, 2017

Day 42: God Knows My Heart


“I know what I’m doing is wrong but God knows my heart.”

“I don’t go to church, God knows my heart.”

“I’m not perfect, God knows my heart.”

How many times have we used the phrase, “God knows my heart.” as an excuse to do what we want, or get out of something we don’t want. Most likely when your grandmother asks when you're going to get your life right with Christ and start going to church again. I grew up hearing this from my older cousins and siblings, this statement only came up when we were on the topic of church, or being a Christian.


Jeremiah 17:9-10
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?  “I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”


Proverbs  2:12

“Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.”



1 Kings 8:34

“You know what is in everyone’s heart. So from your home in heaven answer their prayers, according to the way they live and what is in their hearts.”



It is very true that God knows our heart, every inch of it, He sees. He knows the good, bad, the beautiful and the ugly that comes from these hearts of ours. Today we will address this overused statement and take it a bit further.
The heart is tricky, and can deceive us into thinking that we are always right because we feel it in our our hearts. I’m just going to do what my heart is telling me to do, because I know that would be right. Sometimes the heart is wrong. We are flawed human beings and our hearts do not always steer us in the right direction, especially when we are not firmly planted in the Christ. One of the reasons, David is called a man after God’s own heart is because He abandoned the desires of His own heart to submit to the desires and the heart of God. He sought after the perfect heart, in the perfect man. Our hearts are not always pure, our hearts hold anger, grudges, pain, deceit, violence but God’s heart is pure. In Psalms 51:10 David says, “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”  I think David knew that His heart as is would continue to lead him down the path of sin, so He asked God to purify it, remove everything from my heart that is not like you. God knows our hearts, and He knows it’s not like His.


Do we really understand the depth of the statement, “God knows my heart”? To flip it on it’s head, it does not always have to be an excuse to our sin. God knows our potential, and He gives us a heart that will eventually look like His. God knows the person we are, because He made us. God knows us who we are, and He sees the greatness in us when no one else can. God knows how beautiful our hearts are, when we submit them to Him. Some people will choose to see the bad in us, but God judges the heart.
Sometimes we will go through periods where people don’t understand us, or they do not understand why we are doing things certain way. Sometimes people can’t understand how we are doing God’s will in the field we are in.  

As an actress who left acting for ministry and then stepped down from ministry to go back to acting I identify with this so much. Because of the career that I have chosen, and the field I am in people don’t understand why I would “give up” ministry to go into a “secular field”. Which is very off putting, because they act as if I have given up on God. I find myself trying to explain that I'm still a Christian rather than why I chose to be an actress. It feels so weird, I find myself trying to prove that I still have a heart for God, and always will. But God knows that, He placed this heart within me.
-Dyamond

But God knows that even no matter where we are as long as we are firm in our faith, and rooted in Christ our hearts will forever be lost in Him.
God knows the condition of every heart, and He knows how to heal every heart. The worst person in the world can have a complete turn around because they allowed Christ into their heart, but because of the their past people will never take the chance to get to see their true heart, but God does.  
God knows the honesty of our hearts, the depths of our hearts, He knows the scars on our hearts, and the weights that lie heavy on them. God looks at the one thing that man looks past, He pays very close attention to our hearts and the condition of them.. We can look one way to people and look completely different to God because He sees our heart, and He judges us according to what is in our hearts.


Reflection
  1. What resonated with you the most today?
  2. How often have you found yourself saying the statement, "God knows my heart" or something similar? Did you use it as as excuse? When did you use it and in what context?

Prayer Time
Read over the passages talked about today and ask God to search your heart. Pray the prayer David prayed in Psalms 51:10 “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” Repeat this and allow God to change your heart. Know that His heart is greater than ours, and that he can remove anything that is keeping us back from Him. God wants our hearts, He can handle them better than we can.
















No comments:

Post a Comment