Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Day 33: The Power of the Tongue



If you are in your twenties growing up you most likely heard the saying “sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.” It’s what they said when you told the teachers you were being bullied. I’m not sure if they understood not only the power of the words, but the impact they had on us. Especially when we grew older and learned that words hurt the most.

Growing up I was bullied mercilessly, I was beat up everyday, and teased for my height, my hair, my dark skin. I was called ugly everyday from the age of five to ten. I was called ugly so much to where I started to believe it, I started to hate my dark skin, and the fact that I was short. I began to adopt the language that was spoken to me, after a while I would look in the mirror and call myself ugly, and repeat what I was hearing from all the people at school. As I got older the physical abuse stopped but the verbal abuse stuck with me, it increased from outsiders and increased within me. And it killed me, it crushed me. If I was not such an imagination driven person, and an actress I probably would have committed suicide. I’m being very honest. What’s crazy about it all is, it wasn’t getting beat up that hurt me, it was the words people used to degrade me that hurt me the most. And the language I used towards myself that crushed my spirit. I have been on both sides of the spectrum, I have said things that have hurt people, and used my tongue as defense and a weapon. Words hurt so much because there is power behind them, and when we know that it’s even worse.
-Dyamond

There are so many scriptures that speak about the tongue, and watching what we say that I can write an entire book. But today we will take it  scripture by scripture.

Proverbs 18: 21

The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

  • There is a price for everything we say. We must be careful what comes out of mouths because we never know how it can impact those we are speaking to. We don’t know the power our language has over someone else and even ourselves. Our words can speak life into people or they can speak death. Verse 20 talks about wise words satisfying like a good meal, we should fill our brothers and sisters up with our words. What we say to others and ourselves should lift people up. We are not supposed to use the tongue as a weapon, we are to speak wisdom, kindness, love. Everything we say has an outcome and consequence, whether it’s good or bad is up to us.

Psalms 141:3

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!

  • David is literally asking God to control what comes out of His mouth. Guard his lips so that he does not even utter anything evil.






  • I know we have all had moments where we ask God  to guard our mouths when that one person is pressing every button, working every nerve, and trying you every way possible. And it feels like it will take Jesus Himself, and flock of angels to stop you from saying what you want to say, which is everything you are not supposed to say. But you don’t explode you hold your tongue and make sure you let them know Jesus saved them. We’ve all been there, and if you haven’t you’re either perfect, or lying. Or you are just really great at holding your tongue.

  • Sometimes we have to pull a David and say “lord guard my tongue.” we have to pray at that instant so that we won’t say anything that we will regret later, or that will cause pain or harm to our brother or sister.

  • Matthew 15:11- It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”


James 1:19
Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.
  • Sometimes our mouths are quicker than our brains. MAny times we don’t really mean the things we say we just say them because we don’t think before we speak. We have to remember what we were taught as kids to think before we speak.

  • Another thing, we spend so much time speaking that we don’t listen. I’ve gotten into so many arguments because I wasn’t listening to what was being said to me or I wasn’t being listened to. When we decide to listen rather than just speak we will understand so much more and be happier people because we won’t be so angry all the time because we misunderstood what someone was saying to us.
James 3:4-6,10 (Expanded passage verses 1-12)
  • And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong.  In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire.  And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.
Reflection
The tongue is the smallest member of our body yet it seems to have the most power. The scripture compares the tongue to a tiny spark that can set a great forest fire. A rudder that controls a massive ship. With so much power in such a small member, why not use it for good? We don’t always have to be silent out of fear that we will say something wrong, we can lift each other up with our words. Encourage someone today, other than yourself, anyone: a stranger, a friend, a family member. Use the mouth God gave us for good.
Today make the effort to change your language from curses to blessings, from death to life, from bad to good.
Prayer Time
Pray the prayer David prayed, that GOd will set a guard over our lips. As you reflect on the passages today, think about what it means to speak life, to lift each other up with our words. Pray about and ask God to help you control your tongue and speak wisdom, life, and encouragements to your brothers and sisters in Christ.
If you have been hurt by words someone has said to you, now is the time for healing. Now is the time to let it go and know that God’s words are greater, His words are more power and hold more truth than anyone on this planet. Forgive the people that hurt you even if you never receive an apology.
If you are someone who has used your words to hurt others, as you ask God for forgiveness know that you are forgiven, and forgive yourself. If you feel lead to, ask that person for forgiveness.
Just rest in God’s love, and know that His words are heavy with truth.  

I HOPE YOU HAVE AN AMAZING DAY!!! I LOVE YOU!
Make sure you come back tomorrow for Day 34!






No comments:

Post a Comment