Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Day 48: Parent Appreciation Day



Proverbs 23:22-25
Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth, and do not sell it;buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him.Let your father and mother be glad;let her who bore you rejoice.


If you grew up with strict parents, respect was taught to us at a young age, it was ingrained in us. We were told to respect our parents, our elders, and our peers.

If you grew up with parents who knew anything about scripture, you heard at one point or another, Exodus 20:12, “Honor your father and mother so that your days may be longer on earth.” and if you had a smart mouth like my sister, at one point your response to this statement was the beginning of Ephesians 6:4, “Fathers provoke your child not to wrath.” every time the pastor talked about disobedient and rude kids your mother broke her neck to look at you. We love our parents, but sometimes we don’t always like our parents. I’m just being honest. Sometimes we aren’t as respectful as we should be. Sometimes we forget that no matter how old we are, we will always be our parents’ child. Sometimes we just forget to appreciate our parents.

Countless times throughout the entire bible we are told to honor our parents, to listen to their wise counsel, not to disgrace our father's house, but to listen honor, and obey.

Colossians 3:20
Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.

Proverbs 1:8-9
Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.

God personally chose our parents, he did not just pick two random people to take care of us, God gave us the people in our lives that would raise us right, that would teach us and show us how to live an abundant life. These are not always the people who created and gave birth to us. No, our parents aren’t perfect but neither are we, they are doing the job God has given them, being our parent.
At some point we lost that innocent unconditional love we had for our parents. Not that we don’t love them, but we’ve lost that shine we had when we were kids. When they were our heroes, and we leaned on them for everything. When all we wanted was to make our parents proud. There was a time when we wanted nothing more than to spend time with our parents. As we got a little older that dependency started to fade, and we started to need them less. Sometimes as our dependency fades our respect fades. We started going through changes, and our minds started to mature and we got to a point where we ‘no longer needed’ our parents. They raised us and brought us up right, yet when we got older we went against it. We have all gone through a time of declaring our independence and feeling like we don’t need to listen to our parents anymore.  Yes, we love our parents but how often do we tell them? We appreciate them but do they know it? Our parents love us so much, more than we could ever imagine, no matter how upset they are with us, or how much we fight with them, their love doesn’t fade. It is important that we understand how much our parents just want what is best for us. Sometimes we don’t listen because we think we know it all, and sometimes our parents are wrong. But for the many times they’re not, we have to learn to accept their wisdom, learn from them, because one day we’re going to wake up and and all of sudden we’re a parent and we will understand all of the things our parents told us when we were younger.

I don’t think we understand how happy it makes our parents when we just call to say, “i love you, or i appreciate you.” They want nothing more than for us to be happy, and as we get older we will start to recall the teachings of our parents. We will start to appreciate all the things we didn’t like when we were younger I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in conversations and caught myself saying; ‘Well my mom always said…” or “My dad taught me this..” And it is a great feeling to just sit a realize, my parents were right. To realize that even at my worst moments my parents had my best interest at heart. That even when I didn't want to listen their consistency, and strict parenting made me the person I am. It was always so that I could be a better person. Parents are the most selfless people in the world. They put their children ahead of them everyday. I thank God for my parents, even though my father is no longer with us.

Some of us don’t have our parents with us anymore, and I understand that. I lost my dad when I was eighteen, but everything he taught me up until the day he died is ingrained in me. I can find comfort in knowing that even though I didn’t have him as long as I would have liked, God allowed him to raise me and show me a way that was right. He gave me a father who would teach me how to love, and be loved, how would teach me about life, and the little things that matter the most. So when God called Him home, yes it shattered me but His wisdom and what he taught me while he was here will forever be ingrained on my heart.
-Dyamond

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Many times when we get older we break our parents hearts by straying away from their teachings. We go against the grain, and act as if we forget what they taught us,  But it is the prayers of our parents and our grandparents and our forefathers that keep us going. We might stray but we will never depart, we will always find a way back home. That wise counsel, and those morals that have been taught to us will bring us back every time. It is because god gave us parents who would pray for us and love us even when we screw up, even when we break their hearts. They are always waiting with open arms to forgive and accept us. Just like When the prodigal son returned home.


Reflection/Prayer Time

Take the time to just think about all the things your parents, guardians, and/or parental figures has done for you. Thank God for them, thank God for putting them in your life. And pray for your parents, or the people you consider or call your parents. When all is done, call you parents today and tell them you love them, send a card, write a letter. Do something to show your parents that you appreciate them. We don't have to wait until Mother's or Father's Day for our parents to know how much we love and appreciate them.

This might be hard for those of us who have lost parents, but thank God for the time you had with them. Remember the good things about them, and how they helped mold and shape you into the person you are today. I love you.


Have an awesome day or evening. I love you so much. MAke sure you come back tomorrow for day 49!



No comments:

Post a Comment