Featured Post

Year Reflection

I just want you to take the time and reflect on what this year has been like for you. Think about the person you were at the beginning ...

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Day 132: The Idea of God

Matthew 6:21
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
1 John 4:19
We love because he first loved us.
Isaiah 40:28
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable
I’m sure many of us know what it is like to be obsessed with the idea of something rather than the thing itself. Sounds like a good old rom-com right? Where people fall in love with the idea of having a relationship or companion than falling in love with the person themself. We love the idea of love, or we love the idea of a relationship or the idea of being independent, but what about the real thing. We love the idea of security to feel safe and comfortable in this harsh and broken world. We base our truth on what seems to be rather than what actually is.
I think we do this to God, we are in love with the idea of being able to to call on a hero when we need to be rescued. We like the idea that there is some “higher power” out there so we don’t have to feel alone.  We love the idea that there is someone out there to will grant our wishes and give us what we want when we want it, We treat God like a vending machine sometimes. He’s convenient and there when we need Him.
We find comfort in knowing of God, but it’s just enough so we do not have to entertain the actuality of having a relationship with Him. To many people God is just a security blanket, something or someone to fall back on. I can’t speak for everyone but I know that I have treated God this way in my life. I didn’t want to be too involved because I loved the idea of God more than God Himself. I could live in this fantasy world where He was there when I needed Him and I could abandon HIm when I wanted. The truth was, if I never got too deep, if I kept everything surface level I would not be held accountable for all the wrong I was doing. Ignorance is bliss right? WRONG! I was so wrong, I had it completely and utterly wrong.
We hold this idea on our heads of who God is supposed to be and how that applies to us. We see God as a person who will meet our needs. We see God for what He can do for us, and not for who He is.
So the question here is, do we really treasure God or what He can do for us. Sometimes we get caught up in the blessings as opposed to being caught up in God. We are more invested in what He can do for us as opposed to who He is. When we begin to treasure God for the love He has given us, just for being who He is, the creator of the universe, the holder of our souls, the one who breathes life into our lifeless bodies. We must treasure that. We cannot try to mould and shape God into our idea of who He is, it does not work that way. We cannot make God into our little genie and only talk to Him when we need something. That is not who God is. He is so much more, we just have to take Him out of the box we tend to place Him in.
God is so much bigger than what we can ever fathom. He is greater than our ideas of Him, greater than the boxes we put Him in. God is not an idea He is the real thing. So we must not fall for an idea of who God is but fall in love with God for who He truly is.  
Response/Prayer Time
Today respond to the subject that was talked about today. Are you obsessed with the idea of God or do you love God for who He is, because He first loved us?

I love you, I hope you have an amazing day or evening. Share this with someone, discuss it, and make sure you come back tomorrow for Day 133!

No comments:

Post a Comment